Wednesday, June 26, 2024

The Land of Umbrellas

Hi Ink Drinkers,

Contemporary romance is blessed.  Whenever I write a contemporary romance piece, it always gets a whack-load of interest from the public compared to my other pieces.  

I struggle to write contemporary romance.  It feels like everything has been done already and there's nothing left to do.  It's easier to write something shorter because then there's less temptation to write overdone cliches.  

The Land of Umbrellas was a difficult piece for me.  If you read it, you won't understand why.  It comes off as pretty effortless... in a good way.  Except that it wasn't.  I kept taking the wrong turn and having to go back and scrap what I'd written.  Finally, this year, I was going to finish it or I was going to die trying.  I think it ended as well as it was going to.  I'm pretty proud.

Here's the synopsis:

Lindsay Thomas wanted to be an actress, but that mostly meant 'acting' like she had her life together. When she gets an opportunity to help one of her acting buddies renovate a hotel for the winter, she moves to Vancouver Island to get a fresh start in a place where it rains all the time and where umbrellas keep popping up to keep her dry.

It's available on RoyalRoad: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/86720/the-land-of-umbrellas

On Quotev: https://www.quotev.com/story/16549586/The-Land-of-Umbrellas/1

On Inkitt: https://www.inkitt.com/stories/romance/1276726

No comments:

Dictionary of Characters

Sometimes, I think something like what I'm about to do would be useful, so I have made these before, but this time I'm going to post...