Thursday, January 12, 2012

So What if I am a Narcissist?

I tell people I’m a narcissist so they’ll stop complimenting me. I don’t need compliments because I already think the world of myself. They immediately rebuff me by saying that I’m not narcissistic – I’m confident. Well, I’m here to tell you two things, so listen up! Number one: I really am narcissistic. Number two: I love being complimented on my writing.

I don’t think I’m confident. Confidence implies that you have a belief in a certain positive outcome. You’re walking into a situation bullheaded, because a tiny spark (or longstanding experience) has taught you that you will achieve your desired ending. I have no such confidence. I can walk into a situation knowing that I’m going to fail utterly – proceed to fail utterly – wake up the next morning, wander into the bathroom, look at myself in the mirror and think, “Ah! Thank goodness! I’m still gorgeous.”

When I was a kid, I wasn’t good at anything. You’ve never seen such a pitiful scrap of scrubby kid. I got sad grades, was disliked by everyone for my rotten personality, sucked at sports, played my solos off-key, and cursed at myself while exiting the stage after biting the big one in front of an auditorium full of people on more than one occasion. It’s a late bloomer thing. I knew that one day I’d stop sucking and find my groove.

It’s a matter of forgiving yourself quickly when you embarrass yourself.

One time, when I went to college, I volunteered to do tours of the buildings for perspective students. I was supposed to dress in business attire and wore my favourite pair of black high heels. As soon as I took one step onto the tiling in the atrium in my beautiful black high heel, I knew I was screwed. I sounded like a one man snare drum, with each step echoing into the rafters. That tiling covers the whole college. I hid in the carpeted library and waited for the tours to start. I wracked my brains. I had no choice. I had to do the tours wearing those heels. I remember watching all the other tour guides and the college administration gather in the atrium. I stood on the library carpet and psyched myself up. The only way I was going to get away with it was if I acted like I didn’t hear the clatter my every step made. I put my foot on the tile and catwalked my way over to join the other guides. The college administrator actually stopped her briefing to stare at me – along with everyone else. She was stunned (did I forget to mention that I looked gorgeous? Didn’t I tell you? First thing in the morning – gorgeous), and stopped everything to say how fabulous I looked. I did the tours and I was even louder than I feared, but I got a shoulder rub from a hot rugby player during the break. How’s that?

Remember Oscar Wilde – “To love one’s self is the beginning of a life-long romance.”

No comments:

Small Words by Stephanie Van Orman

  This piece won first prize at the fair this weekend. Read to the end for the story behind the poem. SMALL WORDS by Stephanie Van Orman She...