Thursday, March 28, 2013

Glamour Photo of a Rug




This rug is made out of the worst yarn I have ever held between my two fingers.  The yarn was on sale at a ridiculously low price and the colours were so cute I bought six balls.  I was thinking of a cute hat I could make or a baby blanket, but once I started working with it, I realized that it was crap … and it was taking up a considerable chunk of space in my yarn box (I’m only allowed to have one yarn box (no clutter policy)). 

What could I do with the unspeakable crap? 

So, I got the idea to make a rug out of it.  A lady I knew when I was in high school who used to gather crappy yarn and make the most beautiful rugs.  She made one that looked like a sunflower and another one that looked like a watermelon slice.  Granted, this is not like that.  You have to have a lot more yarn to do what that knit-witch used to do.  But I needed a little rug for my two piece bathroom, so here it is. 

Here’s what you do to make a rug.  First, chain it.  Chain all of it.  The yarn I used and other useless yarn is too thin to be a rug unless you chain it.  When you’re done chaining it, get a BIG crochet hook.  I used a 6mm for the chain and a 9mm for the rug, but I have made rugs with hooks as big as 11mm.  Then with your BIG crochet hook – make a rug. 

I’m sorry.  I know that’s not particularly descriptive, but the reason I crochet rather than knit is because I can’t be bothered to follow a set of instructions.  I like crochet because it’s all about lying your face off. You can really just make it up as you go and it will probably turn out all right.

Recently I got a DIY craft feed on my phone and there are a lot of cute DIY projects that people post.  The only problem with them is that you have to go to the store and buy A, B, C, D, E, F, G and I’m like, “Why would I wanna do that?”  What I want to do is have supplies A, Y, H, W, B … sit there for a while and then LIGHT BULB – I am inspired!  I’m gonna do <fill in blank> and it’s going to be awesome!

It’s great when it works out that way.  If feel like it did with my little rug.  Well, I may do another post about it after I run it through the washer.  Eek!


No comments:

Small Words by Stephanie Van Orman

  This piece won first prize at the fair this weekend. Read to the end for the story behind the poem. SMALL WORDS by Stephanie Van Orman She...