Thursday, September 26, 2019

A Little Like Scarlett

Very soon, I am releasing my partial autobiography entitled A Little like Scarlett.  I wrote this book like a person possessed.  I have always been curious about authors of romance novels, so I wanted to write about my own dating stories.  Each week, for the next four weeks, I plan to post a different clip from the book to whet all your appetites.  Here's the first one:

:
When I was a teenager, I used to read books dedicated to teaching young women how to win men over.  Apparently, you should get him to help you with your coat. When I was studying this in the 1990s I thought that idea seemed so outdated it was laughable.  Yet, I am a ridiculous sort of girl and I wanted to try out the theory before I hurled it out the window.

So, as I was leaving a dance with a boy at the end of the night, we stood by the coat rack.  I pointed to my coat and said, “That one is mine."  

As a side note, it was a really ugly coat.  Really, really ugly. So ugly that I didn’t want to admit to owning it and if I hadn’t committed to trying that stupid idea, I probably would have left the church without claiming it rather than admit that the incredibly ugly coat that actually that grommets in the armpits to help with ventilation, was mine.  My mom bought it at a thrift store and was ever so pleased with herself.

Back at the church, the boy looked at the coat and shrugged his shoulders like, “So?"

I looked at him like he was stupid, took the coat off the hanger and handed it to him.  

He took it, but had his hands apart like, “I don’t know.  Why are you giving this to me?”

I looked at him like I was trying to be patient with him when really my face was aflame and I didn’t know why I had committed to this stupid idea, and he was going to think I was stupid and everything.  I spread the coat between his two hands and got into it.

He laughed, didn’t seem to notice that my coat was only pretending to be a jean jacket (because it was actually made of something much cheaper), enjoyed my playfulness, and afterwards he never forgot to treat me like a lady.

No comments:

Cut Like Glass

One of the things I really enjoy writing is novelettes.  I wish I had discovered them sooner.  They are SO MUCH FUN! 'Cut Like Glass'...