Friday, October 18, 2019

Trick Number One

Today is the last day for promoting A Little like Scarlett.  My, the time does fly.  Here's today's excerpt.

I used to get tricked into going on dates with guys I didn't like.  A guy, usually a guy who had a girlfriend, would call me up and ask me if I wanted to come on a group activity.  A bunch of kids were going to do something fun and I could come along with no date? Awesome! Except I'd show up and it was a single date or a double date and I was paired up with someone I never would have consented to go out with if Mr.  Matchmaker had been honest.

On this particular occasion, I was distinctly repelled by something about my date's mouth.  His name was Stephen and I was really not into Stephen's mouth. His lips were enormous in a way that just rubbed me all wrong.  

But I tolerated the rollerblading date and thought pleasantly that it would be over soon and I would no longer be around this guy I was actually repelled by.  He drove me home, by himself. We were alone in the car and I was not thrilled by that prospect. I didn't know him and I had not agreed to a single date with him.

We drove in silence.

“Isn't there anything you want to know about me?” he asked.

“Nothing's coming to mind,” I replied.

“Don't you even want to know my last name?”

I straightened.  Yeah, I did want to know his last name in case he attacked me and I needed to file a police report.  “Okay,” I said. “What's your last name?”

He told me.

And I immediately responded with, “What's your grandfather on your dad's side's first name?”

Again he told me, and I snorted.

“What?”

“We're cousins.”

He gawked.  “No, we're not.”

“Yes, we are.  Your grandfather and my grandmother are first cousins."  I started listing his first cousins, one of which was Wyatt and I suddenly made the connection.  The reason I didn't think he was attractive at all was that he actually had lips like two of my brothers.  Those really pronounced lips; my dad had them too.  

“We're third cousins,” I announced.  “Little too close for me to want to date you.”

He didn't believe me, but I didn't really care.  I sent him home to ask his daddy. It was a little weird when I got to the single adult ward after high school and I heard the ladies gushing over him.  Yeah, like he was my brother.

Here's the link for Amazon.ca
amazon.ca/Little-Like-Scarlett-Partial-Autobiography/dp/1694390489/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=a+little+like+scarlett&qid=1571422105&sr=8-2

Here's the link for Amazon.com

No comments:

Cut Like Glass

One of the things I really enjoy writing is novelettes.  I wish I had discovered them sooner.  They are SO MUCH FUN! 'Cut Like Glass'...