Thursday, December 29, 2011

When Your Profession is Motherhood

I notice that a lot of women tend to get their backs up about being professional mothers. ‘You’re Just a Mom?’ I see it sometimes when people ask what I do, but I find that it is rarely followed by disrespect. However, it is a quick way to kill a conversation when you’re getting to know someone new. They ask what you do, you say you stay home with the kids and there is instant silence. They don’t know what to say next. They were hoping to have the conversation filled by professional banter and instead – you stay home with the kids – riveting. Like I said earlier, I don’t think they are meaning to be disrespectful; they just have no idea how to proceed. Even if you worked at a daycare, they’d know what to say next better than if you’re a housewife. Why? Because no one knows what you do all day. You could be doing anything. And that’s right. You’re doing anything.

The point is, mothers, you need to take the reins of that conversation and let the person you’re talking to know what you’re doing. They won’t know what it is you do unless you tell them. And you need to get down to the nitty-gritty. Tell them that you cook wonderful meals that are so scrumptious your husband has lost the stomach to eat out. Tell them you grow such beautiful roses that no one needs to bring you flowers, that you throw parties, potty train toddlers (which is for the good of the nation and perhaps the entire world), and the million other things that occupy your day.

Me? I tell them that my life is organized in such a way that I get to take a nap every afternoon. I’ve always thought that a siesta is the way to go for maximum efficiency during the waking hours of the day. And if that doesn’t impress them as to my luxurious lifestyle – nothing will.

I also make tons of money in the form of saving money. Kids don’t go to daycare ($$$). And the freedom! Ah – the freedom. I wake up every morning and think, “What would I like to do today? I can do anything.” And I do. Granted, some days my deepest desire is to do the frick’n laundry because the piles are getting on my nerves. And some days when my outlook is brighter I go work in the yard and wear my floppy orange hat. Or I’ll paint, and so will the kids. We’ll make something yummy or visit some friends.

And if you’re a frustrated mommy – maybe you need to become your own boss and see how much fun that can be. It’s about being creative and wise with the time and resources you have.

2 comments:

**Sheena** said...

I absolutely love this!!! I am "just a mom" and I do feel this way I feel that I do it all, and I adore it. Such a great thought, thanks so much for putting it so eloquently.

JQ said...

That's my girl.

Cut Like Glass

One of the things I really enjoy writing is novelettes.  I wish I had discovered them sooner.  They are SO MUCH FUN! 'Cut Like Glass'...