Thursday, February 2, 2012

I Get Grumpy

I was sick again these last two weeks and you all know what happens when I get sick … I read. Most things are really insufferable tosh, aren’t they?

Lately, everyone has been recommending that I read The Hunger Games series. Normally, I hate whatever’s popular just because it’s popular. It took major arm twisting on my husband’s part to get me to read Harry Potter. I read Twilight not knowing it was popular and thinking that it was about doing laundry, because at every section I turned to in my random flip test (it’s a test where you find a part of the book that has very little dialogue and usually contains a sex scene) Bella was doing laundry – so I naturally thought it was about finding missing socks at dusk. For the record, I do not do the random flip test to find sex scenes. I do it to stop myself and others from reading trashy books.

The thing about The Hunger Games series is that it looks totally uninspiring from my perspective. Meaning that I think that it’s probably respectable reading, but sounds boring to me. Whenever someone tells me that they like it, I ask them if they’ve watched a lot of anime. Everyone I have asked has said that they haven’t. That’s because anime is flipping twisted and after all the twisted anime I’ve watched – teenagers forced to hunt each other down sounds flat and old hat. I didn’t mean to rhyme that.

Anywoo – I know you’re all dying to know what I’ve been reading. I read Conrad’s Fate by Dianne Wynne Jones. It was fun. Next I’m going to read the rest of The Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve. That one is about floating cities that eat each other. It’s for 9 – 12 year olds. Cool, eh? I heard a rumour that Peter Jackson is planning on making a movie adaptation of it after he’s done with The Hobbit.

I never made it through The Hobbit when I tried at age 13. It’s clearly because I never imagined Richard Armitage as a dwarf, but if I had, I probably could have got through it more than once. BTW – the reason I never made it through Lord of the Rings is because I never imagined Viggo Mortensen or Orlando Bloom either. What can I say? I was brainwashed by those cartoons with the awful singing and the ‘wearer of the ring, the bearer of the ring’. It was very oppressive … artistically. But at least there was a whip and a way! … probably not very many of you are going to think that’s funny.

Anyway, there’s at least one thing on the entertainment horizon that will definitely be worth the money to not pirate it. Just kidding – I wouldn’t pirate anything. I’d wait like a fox until it made it onto Netflix.

2 comments:

JQ said...

Get a cute boy to read LOTR out loud to you. That's the only way I made it through.

Stephanie Van Orman said...

Do I get to embroider at the same time?

Cut Like Glass

One of the things I really enjoy writing is novelettes.  I wish I had discovered them sooner.  They are SO MUCH FUN! 'Cut Like Glass'...