Thursday, June 21, 2012

Jealous Brown


Did you all know that I am obsessed with eye colour?  Well, I am.  When I was a little kid, I always thought that brown eyes were not as pretty as blue eyes (it’s a disease), and I got really tired of blue-eyed people saying stuff like, “My eyes are not blue.  They’re only blue if I wear a blue shirt.  The rest of the time they’re grey.  Unless I’m crying, then they’re green.”  BOO!  After a while, I just thought in my head, “If your eyes aren’t brown, then they’re blue and shut up about it.” 

Well, that all changed when one day, I was sitting next to a couple of my friends.  One of them had extremely blue eyes (didn’t matter what she wore) and a friend who had extremely green eyes.  I turned to her and commented that her eyes were green, and she was like, “Yeah Steph, it’s about time you acknowledged it instead of being so pigheaded to always tell me I have blue eyes when THEY ARE OBVIOUSLY GREEN!”  So, I apologized to her. 

Then one day, I realized that my eyes are not the same colour as my hair.  For some reason, as a kid I was always like – brown is brown is brown.  So, I couldn’t recognize that my eyes were not dark brown.  And actually, like those people I despised who said that their eye colour was affected by what they wore – I realized that my eyes only look brown because they are beside my brown hair and the comparison overwhelms the green.  However, my eyes are probably 60% brown, and you can’t see the green unless you look for it – or unless my hair is wet and looking black (then and the green is more visible).  For your information – my driver’s license says my eyes are hazel – which they are.  I thought that made me special because I thought brown eyes were more common than hazel ones.  DEAD WRONG.  Tons of people have little green lights in their brown eyes.  Actually, I have found that finding people with pure brown eyes is a little tricky.  And depending on that shade of brown – it can be really, really pretty.

Anywho, my husband also has green lights in his brown eyes.  I expected all our kids to have brown eyes (or at least that jealous brown colour my husband and I share) – NEEEP – WRONG.  None of our kids have brown eyes with green flecks or undertones or whatever.  They say they don’t know what genes cause hazel eyes and grey eyes.  My gene pool must be really muddy because none of my kids have green eyes, blue eyes or brown eyes.  Not completely.  Only one of them has brownish eyes and that kid’s undertone is not green – it’s grey. 

Now my philosophy is – if your eyes are the windows to your soul – they’re whatever colour you say they are.      

2 comments:

Holly g said...

I am going to look at all my 12 brown eyes tonight and try to see more than just brown!!!

Stephanie Van Orman said...

Thanks for commenting. I'm interested so please tell me how it goes.

Cut Like Glass

One of the things I really enjoy writing is novelettes.  I wish I had discovered them sooner.  They are SO MUCH FUN! 'Cut Like Glass'...