Thursday, February 7, 2013

Town Rat, Country Rat


I grew up in a small town.  I moved to the city when I became an adult and I have pretty much been a city dweller ever since, but occasionally, I find myself back in small towns from time to time and the culture shock is really … intense.

For one thing, I do not find that country people have better manners than city people.  I also don’t find that city people have better fashion sense than country people.  Bear in mind – this is Canada. 

The thing that shocks me is what they seem to think of each other.  For one thing, city people who have escaped their hometown seem to be endlessly congratulating themselves on the achievement.  Is it really that amazing that you rented out an apartment in the city, then rented out a house in the city, and finally bought a house in the city?  Likewise, people who have not left the small town are also endlessly congratulating themselves on that.  Is it really that impressive that you never moved out?

For my own part, I can see the advantages of both and the disadvantages of both.  I always feel claustrophobic in the city.  I live on a fairly open street where people have backyards, front yards and sometimes even … dare I say it?  Side yards.  And I’m still deprived of sky.  I am hardly acquainted with any of my neighbours and have to drive for at least 15 minutes to get to a friend’s house.  When I lived in a small town, I could tell you who lived in almost every house.  It was easy to remember since you canvased for the Heart and Stroke Foundation regularly.  In the city, I still do volunteer work, but I hardly ever meet anyone.  And people move all the time.

In a small town, yeah – gardening is the limit.  I love gardening and there are huge lots to tend (maybe almost too big).  But nothing ever happens there.  The cultural happenings like theatre productions and festivals are downright laughable.  No opera in Italian there.  No international celebrations of anything.  No pizza delivery.  And sadly, no money.  The economy doesn’t exactly rock in those little places.  But it’s a five minute walk to the grocery store instead of a five minute drive and all your favourite stores are beside each other because it’s a small place.

Occasionally, I hear of people who were from a small town and never got over wanting it (forced into the city for university).  They’ve been plotting and planning for years to get back to that big sky and those enormous yards.  It’s the money problem that holds them back.  It holds me back too, but I think I finally might have switched over to the dark side – the city side.  Except it’s curious because I can’t explain why.  It’s a coin toss.

3 comments:

Kim Quist Jackson said...

I have progressively moved to smaller cities/towns. Started in Calgary (don't remember much) to Loveland. Spent some time in cities between the size of those. Now I live in a town of about 1,200. I have seen the benefits and drawbacks of both. In the last year people close to me have been involved in all sorts of scandals & rumors from murder & affairs to just small town gossip. I wish small town life was simpler and more relaxing, but it hasn't been. When an ambulance goes by chances are you know who's in it. You have to plan your errands when it's an hour drive to Walmart or the hospital. Small towns just have a smaller population big towns just have more people. That's about all the difference I've noticed.

Stephanie Van Orman said...

Hey Kim,
Thanks for posting. I have never lived in a town a whole hour away from Walmart or a hospital. That must add a whole new dimension to the 'small town' thing. Wow. You'd totally have to be on top of your first aid certification. Ouch!

Unknown said...

Hay that is awsome, the only thing I can add, is after moving from a small town to a big city I still can't afford to attend cultural things....and I have no time.

Cut Like Glass

One of the things I really enjoy writing is novelettes.  I wish I had discovered them sooner.  They are SO MUCH FUN! 'Cut Like Glass'...