Thursday, March 28, 2013

Glamour Photo of a Rug




This rug is made out of the worst yarn I have ever held between my two fingers.  The yarn was on sale at a ridiculously low price and the colours were so cute I bought six balls.  I was thinking of a cute hat I could make or a baby blanket, but once I started working with it, I realized that it was crap … and it was taking up a considerable chunk of space in my yarn box (I’m only allowed to have one yarn box (no clutter policy)). 

What could I do with the unspeakable crap? 

So, I got the idea to make a rug out of it.  A lady I knew when I was in high school who used to gather crappy yarn and make the most beautiful rugs.  She made one that looked like a sunflower and another one that looked like a watermelon slice.  Granted, this is not like that.  You have to have a lot more yarn to do what that knit-witch used to do.  But I needed a little rug for my two piece bathroom, so here it is. 

Here’s what you do to make a rug.  First, chain it.  Chain all of it.  The yarn I used and other useless yarn is too thin to be a rug unless you chain it.  When you’re done chaining it, get a BIG crochet hook.  I used a 6mm for the chain and a 9mm for the rug, but I have made rugs with hooks as big as 11mm.  Then with your BIG crochet hook – make a rug. 

I’m sorry.  I know that’s not particularly descriptive, but the reason I crochet rather than knit is because I can’t be bothered to follow a set of instructions.  I like crochet because it’s all about lying your face off. You can really just make it up as you go and it will probably turn out all right.

Recently I got a DIY craft feed on my phone and there are a lot of cute DIY projects that people post.  The only problem with them is that you have to go to the store and buy A, B, C, D, E, F, G and I’m like, “Why would I wanna do that?”  What I want to do is have supplies A, Y, H, W, B … sit there for a while and then LIGHT BULB – I am inspired!  I’m gonna do <fill in blank> and it’s going to be awesome!

It’s great when it works out that way.  If feel like it did with my little rug.  Well, I may do another post about it after I run it through the washer.  Eek!


No comments:

Cut Like Glass

One of the things I really enjoy writing is novelettes.  I wish I had discovered them sooner.  They are SO MUCH FUN! 'Cut Like Glass'...