Thursday, May 23, 2013

Still Breathing

Often it seems like there is more to complain about than to be thankful for.  So, since I like to criticize movies and books, today I’m going to tell you all about my favourite movie – Still Breathing.  It costs $184.02 new on Amazon.ca, $22.68 on Amazon.com, and between $51.50 and $169.95 on ebay.  I was surprised by the Amazon.com price because I have only seen this movie available at obscene prices.  It’s kind of a rare one. 

The only recognizable actor in it is Brendan Fraser, who I don’t particularly find attractive … ever.  He looks unwashed the entire time and I have this incurable urge to yell at the screen, “At least tie your hair into a pony, you slob!”  However, he does seem to be one of the few actors who have morals, so we’ll let it pass.

Anyhoo, the film is about Roz.  She probably used to be an artist, but that somehow went as sour as her love life, and now she’s so jaded she cons men out of their money using herself as bait.  Brendan Fraser plays Fletcher, a puppeteer who has a dream about her and believes that she’s his one true love.  So, he pursues her, but she’s confused about his real identity.  She thinks she can scam him out of his fortune (if only he had one). 

Personally, I get a kick out of this film, because not only is it about love (without money) but it’s also about art.  Roz professes a love of abstract art, and seems to be studying high art on the side, but we do not see any of her art until the end of the film.  She’s a totally blocked artist.  Fletcher on the other hand makes collages, stacks rocks, plays the trumpet and does puppet shows.  He’s an unblocked artist.

The best part of Roz’s character is that they never explain what happened to turn her into the snarly man-eater that she’s become.  I think that makes her a lot easier to relate to.  The best part of Fletcher’s character is that he can see what she is behind the layers and layers of pretense.  Not only does he see through her charade that is meant to ensnare him, but he also sees what she would be like if she wasn’t a mass of emotional open wounds.     

The film hasn’t got a huge glitzy movie thing going on either, but neither is it overly earthy (you know the type I mean, where they purposefully film in places where you can see the mold seeping through the drywall).  And I know I keep telling you about the best part, but the bestest, bestest part is that this movie is about something real without showing anything you wish you hadn’t seen.  And on the crosshairs, this film doesn’t make my stomach curdle.  I have an overly sensitive gag reflex. 

Happy viewing … if you can find it.

No comments:

Cut Like Glass

One of the things I really enjoy writing is novelettes.  I wish I had discovered them sooner.  They are SO MUCH FUN! 'Cut Like Glass'...