Monday, August 15, 2022

Sleeping Prince

Hey Ink Drinkers,

Take a look at this little beauty.  Does it look familiar?  It should.  This is a Sleeping Beauty inc. book to follow up Rose Red.  I have always wanted to write more Sleeping Beauty Inc. books.  I don't know how many outlines for such books I have written and then dumped because I thought that no one was interested in reading another Sleeping Beauty Inc. book.  

Well, the thing is, I started really taking control of keeping track of my books' stats.  Without a doubt, my most popular book is Whenever You Want.  That feels natural.  It's a contemporary romantic comedy that should appeal to the largest audience of all my books.  HOWEVER!  Rose Red is a tight second.  There are several sites where Rose Red outperforms Whenever You Want.  This pleases me because most of the time, I would rather write a sci-fi than a contemporary romance.  The stats made me see that readers might be interested in more Sleeping Beauty Inc. books and I might as well have a good time at my laptop.

I started writing this book because I had surgery a few weeks ago and recovering from surgery is a fantastic time to crack out a book.  I am the kind of monster who can write an entire book in a few weeks.  Because I didn't want the hassle of going forward with a whole paperback publication, I decided to release it on a collection of free sites and just enjoy the ride.  But, it was interesting to see where a book like this would get the most attention.

#4. Inkitt - Inkitt has been fairly good to me in the past, except they have the longest story approval turnaround.  That means that even though I have been posting this story for a few weeks now, it has only been approved on Inkitt for a few days.  The hit count is low, but that might turn around in the coming months.  Let's see how that goes. https://www.inkitt.com/stories/romance/938646

#3. Booknet - I took a little break from Booknet because it's a Russian/Ukrainian site and it felt weird and wrong to post stilly books when there's a war going on.  I was punished sorely for taking a break.  What I mean is that all my readers there forgot about me.  Winning them back has been grueling.  https://booknet.com/en/book/sleeping-prince-b402470

#2. Quotev - Quotev has also been very good to me.  That is the site where I have the highest following.  However, it's summer and the traffic there has also been pretty slow.  https://www.quotev.com/story/15085957/Sleeping-Prince

#1. Royal Road - This is a website of lurkers.  I had lost confidence in Royal Road in the past because no one ever followed me, comments are rare and far between, but the hit counts are high enough for me to know there is a decent following for my stories, so I started posting again.  https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/57211/sleeping-prince

Because I think it's interesting to note where stories do the best, I'll post an update on this situation later.  

Let me tell you more about Sleeping Prince.  

Our hero is a spacecraft pilot named Gage.  He is owned by Sleeping Beauty Inc. and it is his job to move models to their different jobs between the moons of Jupiter.  Doing this means that he spends an incredible amount of his time in cryostatus as he floats between jobs, but that's what he wants.  He loves being asleep because he's waiting for a very long list of people to die.  If only Iona, a model he transports, hadn't taken a special interest in him and offered him a contract of her own.  Iona is the ninth most expensive model in the Jovian region.  She's something else and even though Gage would rather be asleep, he finds it impossible to turn her down.  Once he signs the contract, he's hers, and whether she means to or not, she brings an incredible amount of trouble with her. 



No comments:

Cut Like Glass

One of the things I really enjoy writing is novelettes.  I wish I had discovered them sooner.  They are SO MUCH FUN! 'Cut Like Glass'...