Thursday, November 3, 2011

Alias

Lately, as I’ve worked to promote my novel, I have gone through hundreds of aliases searching out my fans, and in the process I started having opinions on aliases. Finally, I have come to one conclusion: if your name could be printed on the hind end of a My Little Pony – you’re good to go.

You might think I’m kidding, but just look at my name – Sapphirefly. It’s not that different from the new pony Fluttershy’s name … okay it’s pretty different. Anyway, I’d like to pull up some of my favourite fan names and show you what cool ponies they’d make.

DreamFlight – Doesn’t that totally sound like Star Catcher? I see a pony with a light blue coat, a white and yellow mane. She’d have wings and her cutie mark (the insignia on her flank) would be a white cloud with a couple shining feathers sticking out for wings. Personality: mellow.

Ember-Angel – This would be another winged one. She’d have a light orange body with a yellow and scarlet mane (easy on the scarlet). She’d have a golden bow and arrow on her bottom. Personality: matchmaker.

Sherrabelle – This gal would be a unicorn with a white coat and a gold mane with white and green highlights. Her cutie mark would be an emerald vine with yellow bells growing out of it that goes all the way down to her hoofs. I know you don’t see that kind of a bum patch on any of the My Little Ponies on TV or in stores, but if you go on deviantart.com and search for rogue My Little Ponies – they do that sort of thing all the time. Truly, I didn’t even think My Little Ponies were that cool until I saw what some of those crazy gals do once they strip the ponies of all their paint. Personality – like Share Bear.

Starlight Rose – Cream coloured coat, two-tone red mane and tail, blue eyes and blue hoofs. Her cutie mark would be a red rose crossing a blue rose and she could have some stars glittering around the outskirts to make it sparkle. No horn and no wings. Personality: like a whip.

Ethereal Corrosion – And you thought I was going to do this without getting all goth on you? Right. The gothic ones are the best part. What do you think I’m admiring over there on deviantart? Anyway, the creepy pony. As far as I’m concerned they could all be creepy ponies and I’d still smile and think, ‘It’s so great that they make shows like Ruby Gloom.” So, this pony would have a navy coat and her white hair would always fall over one eye. No horn and no wings. Her mark would be a spider web with diamonds in it and she would sing.

Well, that was completely ridiculous and totally fun. Thanks FANS!

3 comments:

JQ said...

Heeeey, why didn't you do a "Fern Anderson" pony?

Stephanie Van Orman said...

Well, Fern Anderson doesn't work well for this exercise for a number of reasons, but your other alias 'crownie' does (teehee). That one practically writes itself.

Crownie - Lilac coloured coat (she has to be royal). White mane and tail with little black streaks. She'd be a unicorn with yellow eyes and hooves. Since her name is Crownie, she'd have to have a crown on her flank. It would be yellow with big purple amethyst adorning it. Her special power would be convincing everyone to do the right thing with the power of her mind. The unicorns in the new My Little Pony have the ability to move things with their minds. She could do that too. But she also needs underlings to do her bidding - definitely boy ponies - at least six of them.

Anyone else want their pony fortune told?

JQ said...

***Love***

Cut Like Glass

One of the things I really enjoy writing is novelettes.  I wish I had discovered them sooner.  They are SO MUCH FUN! 'Cut Like Glass'...