Thursday, November 8, 2012

Swans in Sight

Today on my blog, I'm promoting the last in Jandy Branch's trilogy, Swans in Sight.  It is the sequel to Bats in Between which I promoted last week and Parakeet Princess for which I did a promotional piece a few months ago.  I did not do the editing on this one, but I did the cover design.  I'll give you fine people the synopsis and then I'll disclose my thoughts and feelings about the cover.

Midway through her 3rd year of university, Heather MacLean hasn't had a date in seven months. With nothing new in her love life, she starts to fall back into old habits -- and old insecurities. Her first love, Ben Jones, is back after two years in Switzerland. Maybe there’s still a chance he can make Heather happy for life. And then there's the more dangerous prospect of the looming return of Heather's favourite vampire. Being on her own would probably be easier if she didn't have to watch Tannis, her best friend, dating Lars Hansen. He’s a man who seems eerily perfect – or, at least, perfect for Heather. Set in a large LDS singles' ward in the mid-1990s, this is the final installment of the "Parakeet Princess" trilogy. It's a clean, uplifting story about the clumsy, convoluted, crowded road to true love.

Obviously, I did the design for this one after the other two, so naturally, I found it the most difficult.  My ideas for the other two covers just sort of fell into my lap.  This cover represents a considerably larger time investment.  In the end, I decided to go with a style that was slightly more like the first novel than the second and aimed for a lighter feel.  For instance, we see Heather's face instead of a shadow.  That's because she's out of the dark and into the light.  The colour scheme is also slightly different - blue for the first book, green for the second, and brown for the third.  I love it.  I think it looks like a chocolate cupcake with pink frosting, but then - I always have cupcakes on the brain.

This book is a delightful read and an excellent end to the series.  Be sure to give all three books a whirl if you're low on reading material.  And remember, the first book Parakeet Princess is still on for free on Amazon and Smashwords and other great ebook sellers. The other two sell for only $1.99 each.  I know you'll love them!  Cheers!

No comments:

Cut Like Glass

One of the things I really enjoy writing is novelettes.  I wish I had discovered them sooner.  They are SO MUCH FUN! 'Cut Like Glass'...